This is an important article. It might save your online business.
Several years ago, SSL Certificates started becoming the industry standard for protecting data transfers to and from websites. Since we host hundreds of sites on our Amazon Web Servers, we have increasingly felt that it was an important step for our customers to add this component to their individual sites. However, we hesitated to create and enforce a policy, primarily out of respect for the budgets of the our clients.
As of 2018, however, the time has come to create such a policy for our customers.
Starting in Autumn of 2018, all clients hosted by Rockland Web Design must have an SSL Certificate on their websites.
The reasons for adding an SSL Certificate to your website are numerous. I will lay out several of the most important reasons below, but the most important reason (security), is the one you should focus on the most.
1. Data Security
2. No Penalty from Google
3. Industry Standard
4. Increases Trust Factor with Website Customers / Visitors
5. Better SEO Ranking for your website
Here are the full details:
1. Data Security: With an SSL Certificate installed, if your customers submit any information to you, it is less likely that hackers can intercept that information.
(Not just payment info- even an email address, or a password, or if you are logging in as an administrator)
2. No Penalty from Google: At this point, if you don't have an SSL certificate, Google Chrome (and eventually all other web browsers) will warn all your customers before they visit the website, that your site is "insecure", exactly like the message below:
3. SSL is Industry Standard: The Google Security Team announced that the 56th version of Google Chrome that they will visually alert users when they’re not on a secure website with an SSL certificate. Again, please see below graphic.
Note that in order for someone to reach your website without an SSL Certificate, they would need to click on [Advanced], and agree to navigate to website (Which again Google will warn is "unsafe".
This is because SSL certificates offer more secure data transfer between servers, with less chance of interception. It benefits Google to direct people to websites that are secure with an SSL Certificate.
4. Increases Customer Trust Factor: As a visual aesthetic, websites with an SSL Certificate provide an increased level of trust with customers. Basically, when they see the green bar indicating that the website is "secure", they will be very likely to provide you with some of their personal information. Please see below graphic.
5. Better SEO ranking: SSL and HTTPS are not only valuable to security, but they’re also going to be helpful when it comes to SEO, ecommerce, and visual notifications about the security of a page in Google Chrome.
Price for SSL Certificate: At the time of the writing of this post, the cost for an SSL certificate is $179 per year. This includes installation and certificate. Please call us if you have questions, or are ready to invest in an SSL Certificate for your website.
We thank you for your loyalty to Rockland Web Design, and will continue to provide you and your business with premier web services that will help your company grow online for many years to come.
Rockland Web Design